If your garbage disposal has stopped working, then troubleshoot the problem with the following steps:
- The first step whenever troubleshooting problems with your garbage disposal is to double-check the switch that turns it on and off. This should be turned to the OFF position.
- Check to see if there is anything inside your disposal that could be jamming the motor. Clear any obstructions.
- Flip the switch on for a moment. Does your disposal hum? If so, then you still have power going to the unit. Chances are, there is something blocking the mechanisms within your disposal.
- If you don’t hear a hum when you turn the unit on, start by finding the reset switch that is located on the bottom or side of your garbage disposal. Flip the switch and turn your disposal back on.
- If these do not fix the problems, then reset all of the circuit breakers in your breaker panel to see if this will fix the problem.
If you don’t know how to reset circuit breakers, then click here.
If you are still unable to fix your disposal, then you should call an electrician.